Monday, February 8, 2010

Pointless Bike

Today I actually wanted to take a look at the beach near Mochigahama, but there were so many constructions going on around the area so I just decided to ride further to Rokushou-en. No interesting bird at Rokushou-en either, only a flock of usual Black-headed Gull, a Black-eared Kite and that's quite it, so I rode further to Furui-chi. I left my bicycle next to the railway and walked across to the fields on the other side. Several pairs of Common Teal were feeding in the open fields along with a small group of Common Snipe. One dull male Daurian Redstart near the railway was quite approachable so I spent time taking photos of it for a while.
It didn't seem to care much about my presence.

A pair of Bull-headed Shrike was still showing well around the same area, and a flock of Brown-eared Bulbul and White-cheeked Starling was still gathering in the same fruiting tree next to the railway as usual. I found a strange pigeon feeding in the field. It has strange white wings and has been banded on both legs. I assumed that it must come from a pigeon farm somewhere around here. It soon flew out towards the village after I got some promising shots.

The strangest thing for today, a feral pigeon with leg bands...

And some shots of plum blossoms to end the entry. Chinese New Year is coming soon and lots of these flowers can be seen almost everywhere. If the weather continues to be fine like this, I think I'll go to Beppu Koen to get some more shots of the white-eyes with these flowers. These days the only thing that kept me busy is the visa extension. There are many things to do, and tomorrow I have to go to Oita city to get a new re-entry permit, another 6,000 yen will fly away for a tiny stamp in my passport.

3 comments:

Russell Jenkins said...

Some lovely shots. Doesn't look like a normal feral pigeon to me...not a racing pigeon by chance? If it could only talk.

Phil Slade said...

it's no problem for me looking at Daurian Redstart. I too think that could be a racing pigeon, if so it's owners dont want it back if it got lost.

Stuart Price said...

Re-entry permits are so annoying. I have Permanent residency here and I still have to get one of those stupid stamps in my passport every 3 years.

And don't get me started about being fingerprinted every time I enter Japan.............