Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Yet Another Entry

...dedicated for waders at Rokushou-en. I went there very often during the last two weeks. It's a hot season for spring migrants, so I just didn't want to waste my time doing nothing at home. These birds won't be seen again for at least another four or five months, so I should take these opportunities as much as possible.
Beppu Bay during low tide

Whimbrel (Numenius phaeopus variegatus?)

These birds were enjoying bathing and preening.

Grey-tailed Tattler

I think this one is a very bleached 2nd year Vega Gull. It's been staying here in the bay for quite a while now. Normally it would roost with other gulls at Spa Beach, but it also fly to Rokushou-en. I think I first saw it since early April.

Some more tattlers in closer range

This one has the most distinct barring on underparts.

I tried to capture some good flight shots but never seemed to be successful.

I personally like this picture. They look like tiny people on a small island.

A summer Black-tailed Gull

Grey Heron

3 comments:

Stuart Price said...

Looks like you had beautiful light for these shots.

Waders seem a lot more numerous down there, we only seem to get ones or twos up here.

Ayuwat Jearwattanakanok said...

Thanks Stu!
Though the number is quite good but there are not so many species...
I haven't seen any stint, redshanks or greenshanks here yet.

Russell Jenkins said...

Love the flight shot of the Wimbrel. Actually some very good photographs of these waders. Always a challenge.