Friday, April 30, 2010

Waders Waders

Yesterday I had few hours before sunset to check the river mouth near my dorm. The tattlers were still presenting, but only 2 not 3. Usual stuffs like Common Sandpipers and Little Ringed Plovers were also showing. What's new was a single Whimbrel (Numenius phaeopus) which was searching for small crabs along the rocks.
Though it is not an uncommon bird around here, but it's definitely one of the toughest to get close. These shots you see here are about or more than 50% cropped. It just ran away to the other side of the river as soon as I tried to approach. Contrastingly, the tattlers seemed to accept me as part of the landscape much easily.

Grey-tailed Tattler

This one just totally ignored my existence.

Whimbrel

This was the closest I could get!

The bird did this act when a Carrion Crow was flying by.

This shot was before the bird flew out towards the sea at dusk.

The tattlers also need a place to sleep.

1 comment:

Stuart Price said...

Nice shots, the waders are passing through here now too......