Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Rustic Buntings

I made a brief visit to Sekino-e this afternoon in hope for some more shots of the teals but there were not so many and mainly very shy. I was about to walk back to the bus stop but then a small bird hopping in the rice field stopped me. I was so surprised to find that it's a female Rustic Bunting (Emberiza rustica), a lifer for me. There were two more birds hopping around in the thickets also, one of them was a non-breeding male. I was able to manage some crappy shots before the birds flew out at dusk. It was already too dark and I had to push the ISO up to 800. I don't like noises and I don't like shooting at low speed, well artistic shots are exceptions, so when the weather is not very good, I'd prefer staying at home surfing internet or do some other non-bird jobs, so you don't usually see photos in a bad weather-tone here in this blog. I'm sure going to make a re-visit to get some better shots of these buntings this weekend.

1 comment:

Phil Slade said...

Hardly crappy shots! Great in fact. Rustic Bunting is so rare in Britain. I have seen one many years ago on the Isles of Scilly.

Cheers, Phil