Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Backyard's Newbies

Yesterday I went out walking around my house in early morning looking for some birds to photograph. It's been almost a year since last time I walked to the area. Behind my house is a piece of dry dipterocarp forest mixed with abandoned tamarind garden and cultivated area. Surprisingly I found 1 juvenile Burmese Shrike (Lanius collurioides) perching along with a Sooty-headed Bulbul. It's the first time here for this local and quite uncommon shrike of northern Thailand. The bird tends to have most of the adult features but but still possessing dark scales on its underparts and buffish scales on its crown and mantle. Whitish lores indicate that it's a female. Another newbie I've found was another Asian Barred-Owlet, which I guess is a 1st-year adult. The bird has quite a whitish face and very aggressive towards the first individual I've found.

No comments: