Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Chestnut-capped Babbler

So this should be the last post for my Thai bird photos I took during the vacation, before I resume my blog into Japanese stuffs. I spent my last few days in Thailand going to the same place I mentioned about in the earlier post repeatedly. Everytime I visited the place, I saw quite many of this cute Chestnut-capped Babbler (Timalia pileata) moving around in tall grasses. I estimated at least 6 pairs of the birds plus a lone juvenile which always followed after a pair that seemed to be its parents. There should be more, of course, which I couldn't see.


I always tried to get up as early as I could and go straight to the place as birds were most active during early morning. The Chestnut-capped Babblers were as well more active when the sun hasn't risen up so high in the sky. Being there early also gave me the chance to watch them sing on exposed branches. Male birds have sweet thrilling songs which became one of the main background voices in the area. When singing, the birds choose exposed perch like on the top of tall grass and open twigs. They also have another kind of song which is much harsher, louder and more aggressive, which they normally use to contact each others.

Chestnut-capped Babbler (Timalia pileata)

3 comments:

Chris said...

What a gorgeous set of pictures. They are all superb, and this is again abird I'm discovering on your blog! Beautiful...

Phil Slade said...

A great set of pictures again A. That cap is really bright isn't it? It looks like the adult has had a hard season and needs to grow a new tail?

Ayuwat Jearwattanakanok said...

Thanks a lot Chris and Phil! I'm pretty sure they'll replace those tail feathers very soon, Phil. They only live under those thick vegetations, no wonder why the tail feathers are so worn.