Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Best At Rain

I'd been stalking after this beautiful breeding Intermediate Egret for quite a while during the last few weeks. Finally, I was able to get these quite pleasing shots of the bird on last Thursday. Normally this egret is very shy and would fly away as soon as it sees me. To get these shots, I hid myself behind a large pile of wood with my black umbrella opened as it started to shower when the bird came flying in but that's the best moment to photograph an egret in my opinion. Low light resulted in dark background made the bird look much more pronounced. It also helped cool down the temperature of the bird's white plumage, which usually loses all details under strong sunlight. Too bad the bird only stayed for few minutes before flying out but I'm still happy with the result anyway.
Isn't it just purely wonderful?

By the way, I met an old lady the other day at the same lotus field. She's a birdwatcher as well and she showed me photos of shearwaters at Sekino-e beach which is just beyond the railway behind the field. She saw them just the day before I photographed this egret. I just couldn't help feeling regretted because I also really want to see a shearwater once. She even told me that she found over 10 dead bodies of the shearwater at the beach. Surely, I went there right after I talked to her and there was no single sign of any shearwater around, either alive or dead.

2 comments:

Stuart Price said...

Great Egret shots.................

Low light definitely helps with shots of this type......

Phil Slade said...

Thats a good tip about taking pictures of white birds, thanks. I never realised it before. When I clicked on your pictures the full frame shots are just spot on, great job.