Saturday, April 17, 2010

Late Spring

It's been a busy week since the school has started. This semester I've become busier than before and the weather sucked all through seven days. Now I'm still trying to recover from my sickness I've got from the campus. Everyone seemed to be sick because of the weather and there were lots of coughs and sneezes in the bus. Today, miraculously, the weather became fine once again. So I went to Minami Tatte-Ishi koen in the morning and took a long walk back to my dorm.
Brown-eared Bulbul

A male Pale Thrush

Dusky Thrush

White-cheeked Starling

Grey-capped Greenfinch

Despite the brilliant weather, not so many birds were showing in the park. The most interesting one being a male Brown-headed Thrush, which I've been seeking for in the previous visits. Unfortunately, I couldn't get any decent shot of it. No matter how hard I tried, the bird was far too shy to getting close. Actually it seems like there's been an influx of this species going on around Beppu, since I later found several more along the way back to my dorm. However, the best I could get of this thrush was this extra crappy crappy photo below.

Brown-headed Thrush

More Brown-eared Bulbul

And Pale Thrush

Oriental Bush Warbler

Japanese Wagtail courtship display

And my attempt to photograph a flying bat

A single Japanese Grosbeak showed up briefly in the park and disappeared before I could get any photo. Lots of Oriental Bush Warblers began to sing their sweet warbling songs and so as the white-eyes, swallows and wagtails. Tomorrow I'll go check some more spring migrants at Furui-chi. Hope there'll be something interesting.

2 comments:

Russell Jenkins said...

Some lovely photos showing the blues and greens of late spring. Spring is just starting in Niigata.

Stuart Price said...

The Bat is actually a pretty nice shot!