Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Radio Tracking

I just happened to find out that among the juvenile Steller's Sea Eagles (Haliaeetus pelagicus) that I have taken photos in Hokkaido, one of them has some kind of radio transmitter attached to its back. You can see it in these two photos below. I also found a very interesting pdf file about Steller's Sea Eagles and lead poisoing in Hokkaido as I googled down the keywords about radio tracked Steller's Sea Eagle. Here's the link http://www.peregrinefund.org/Lead_conference/PDF/0304%20Saito.pdf

1 comment:

Russell Jenkins said...

Great photos again and interesting bit of research. I'll have to read the above document when I have time. The eagles have a lot of challenges such as poisoning, starvation, habitat loss through tree clearing and disappearing ice. I'm sure they appreciate the free feed they get from the tours.