Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Kiting Season


From the same visit to Furui-chi last Sunday. A single Black-eared Kite (Milvus lineatus) was perching on this beautifully curved tree at first. I was trying to find the right angle to photograph the bird with the tree, then suddenly another bird flew up from the lower bush and quickly got up right above the former bird letting me witnessed their moment of mating. The process lasted pretty long comparing to other birds I've seen, and the female (or both?) screamed pretty loud hehehe. Isn't it too fast for these birds to mate during this time of winter? or may be they need a long period of fertilization.

2 comments:

Russell Jenkins said...

Great balanced photo and really love the tree. It's magnificent. I guess the kites know how to keep warm in the Winter.

Unknown said...

"moment of mating" ^O^

I must admit that I saw only one bird from the very first glance at the photograph. Let me guess, they also camouflaged naturally.