Thursday, January 14, 2010

Snowy Seagulls

Here's a set of photos taken yesterday when a semi-blizzard struck this little subtropical Beppu. The weather forecast website said the lowest temperature was -8 celcius degree. I was shock when I woke up around 9 and found that everything was white outside the window. I quickly went out to the balcony and looked at the Spa Beach and, oh my god, it was also completely white. It's the first time in my life to see a white beach. I've always been wishing to see one at least once in my life since the time I watched the movie Eternal Sunshine and the Spotless Mind by Michel Gondry. My brain immediately sent an order for me to take my camera, grab some pieces of bread and rush out to the beach. It was freezing cold, yet I was so happy with all these photos I've got. The snow really has made these cute gulls look cuter, and the photos really look Hokkaido-ish despite the fact that they're all taken in Kyushu.
These common Black-headed Gulls look so much better with snow!

With a little bit of bread, you'll easily get photos like this.

They look so cute head-on.

More and more birds have developed the blackish feathers of breeding plumage.

The above shots were taken with my 18-55mm lens.

I've been questioning myself for a long time that do some of them actually have pinkish feathers on the underparts, or my eyes were just not right. Now with all this white snow surrounding the birds, I can see the answer clearly for myself, some of them are actually pinkish!

Some more pinky gulls!

Something unexpected, the Sun!

A funny-looking Vega Gull

This one is bad. It kept chasing the others all the time.

Alright Hokkaido,
Here I come!

1 comment:

Stuart Price said...

Nice Gull shots........

Lots of snow will be waiting for you in Hokkaido............don't worry.