Wednesday, October 7, 2009

The Common Snipe

Not much to talk about actually, just a series of photos of the same Common Snipe (Gallinago gallinago) from the day at Furui-chi. The bird was shy at first, but after it got a pretty comfortable bed on the dike, it suddenly changed into a lazy and tame bird. Snipes are one of my all time favorites, I love their unpredictability so I have no problem sitting still watching it for hours. No matter how common they are, I still love them! The Snipes!!!

The bird was scared by the crab(!) and sprang itself up showing white underwing coverts.

And this is what I've been waiting for. On a sunny day after the rain like this, snipes will tend to do sunbathing, showing off their secret marks, the tail!

Note thicker dark lines on forehead than Pintail/Swinhoe's

And here it was scared again by the strange turtle.

Showing off another identification mark, the whitish underwings

The shots before it disappeared into thick lotus field

No comments: