Saturday, September 26, 2009

Bath & Breakfast

Finally got back to the small town of Beppu once again. During the week before leaving Thailand, I put out a pot of water and bananas for birds in my front yard. Lots of them came and used all the survice I provided. The main customer was a gang of Sooty-headed Bulbul. They are very noisy and hyper-active. The Streak-eared Bulbul is a bit more secretive than those guys. Sometimes a pair of Common Mynas also come to eat bananas, but they are so shy that everytime I pan my lenses towards them, they just fly away.
Here's a little heaven for my front yard birds

The noisy Sooty-headed Bulbuls

And the more humble Streak-eared Bulbul

Oriental Magpie-Robins usually come at dusk

A pair of Spotted Doves always feeding on the grass nearby but I've never seen them come to bath like other birds. Before sunset is the time for Oriental Magpie-Robins, both males and females. They are quite fast and shy so they only appear at dusk. However, they always seem to enjoy bathing so much more than any other birds here. Another good new is 2 pairs of White-rumped Munias are now building their nests in my backyard. These tiny birds are very active in finding nesting materials. Maybe I should be more active in studying just like them!

No comments: